To determine how important seeding speed, seeding depth, and opener type are on canola emergence
Collaborators: Blaine Metzger, AG Tech Centre; Farming Smarter
Locations: Lethbridge & Lacombe, AB; Scott & Indian Head, Sask.
Established experiments on cereal stubble 2008-2010. Seeded two cultivars of canola at 150 seeds/m2 with knife openers at 2 depths (1 & 4 cm) driving two speeds (4 & 7 mph).
- No differences in canola emergence in 2011
- Significant differences in 4 of 5 sites in 2012
- Inconsistent results in terms of a superior opener
- All openers usually performed well
Seeding speed (6 vs. 4 mph):
- Reduced emergence in 20% of cases in 2011
- Reduced emergence in 33% of cases in 2012