Have fun and make a difference
Farming Smarter exists to drive agriculture innovation at the farm level. We attract a community of passionate innovators and provide agronomic testing, scientific knowledge, and the right connections for them to succeed. We are a trusted source for regional adaptation of profitable and resilient crops, cropping systems, and agronomic practices. Farming Smarter instills a culture of innovation and takes a bottom-up approach that is gritty, practical, and achievable. As a flexible and responsive organization, we take chances, break the rules, and encourage failure so we can learn. We adapt and excel at innovation development and adoption. This is crucial to keep farmers competitive and viable in a complex and dynamic environment.
We're Looking for:
Seasonal Research Assistants
Accelerate your career by joining our team! Farming Smarter needs several enthusiastic, hardworking students to join our team for the summer of 2024.
You will learn practical skills in crop research, crop & pest identification, irrigation, soil quality and testing, data collection and analysis, sprayer applications, GIS, communication, leadership, and more.
Farming Smarter is a team-oriented organization that believes work/life should be fun and rewarding!
Salary is $18-$25/hour (based on years of education completed).
Term is April 29 – August 30, 2024 (can be adjusted based on school start/end times). Mon-Fri, 40 hrs/week, some overtime
- Help conduct scientific research trials on various field crops
- Receive professional training in safely loading/unloading equipment onto trailers and driving side-by-sides
- Train and then operate small plot field equipment such as tractors, sprayers, mowers
- Seed & fertilizer weighing and preparation for seeding
- Seed small plots trials
- Flag and stake research plots
- Train and then apply pesticides to test plots
- Take accurate notes and data collection such as crop/weed biomass,
- Plot maintenance – mowing, trimming, weeding, etc.
- Calibrate and maintain equipment
- Assist staff with other duties as required
- Punctual, reliable and able to work outdoors
- A high level of attention to detail
- Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Small plot field trial experience and/or agricultural or farm experience is an asset but not required
- Currently enrolled in or finished an undergraduate degree program in Agriculture or a related natural science is an asset but not required
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resumes to Jamie Puchinger at [email protected].